Monday, February 9, 2009

Dumpster Drama



As you may know, I am planning a 50th birthday party for my friend Suzanne.


Last week, Suzanne came came by to show me her wedding album so I could scan the pictures and put them in a DVD for the party. She reminised about her wedding day and told me the picture of Bill and herself heading off to their honeymoon (in their travel clothes) was her FAVORITE picture of the 2 of them. We also went over her guest list and talked about our boys being in the same Boy Scout troop.


Today, I finally had the computer and house to myself so I could scan the pictures into the computer. I had some loose pictures that I had from Suzanne's childhood but I could not find her wedding album! I remember thinking to myself, Suzanne shouldn't have put her album in the plastic bag. Some one might think it is trash.


I tore my house apart trying desperately to recall my actions of our meeting. I finally decided that when I was saying goodbye to Suzanne, I went to the mailbox to pick up the mail. When I came inside the house, I dropped off the mail on the kitchen table. I must have put the bag on the kitchen chair. Then one of the kids must have moved it off the chair and onto the floor. The kitchen table is next to the recycle pile by the back door and someone must have put it in the recycling bin.


But wait, the recycling truck just picked up the trash an hour ago!


I started FLIPPING OUT! I threw away my friend's precious wedding photos!!!!


I called my husband and he told me to call Suzanne right away and tell her what happened. Her answering machine picked up. I tried to sound calm after sobbing for 10 minutes and left a message for her to call me. Next, I called the trash company. They told me the truck hadn't come in yet but I was welcome to sift through the tons of trash to find the book.


I started calling my girlfriends and we quickly arranged a plan to meet at the dump site. I got my grubby clothes on and I was headed out the door when the phone rang. It was Suzanne. Oh no! Should I pick up the phone? Should I look for the book first and then tell her the horrific story? "Hey Donna, what's wrong" Suzanne said in her sweet Southern drawl. I started to cry. "Oh Suzanne, I threw away your wedding album!" She told me to stop crying and she thought I was a true friend for getting so upset about losing her book. Why is she being so calm and nice and trying to cheer me up? I just told this woman her precious memories were lost forever!


"Donna, sweetie! You didn't lose it! The book is right here. I found it in my car this morning. I forgot to give it to you!"
"WHAT!? Are you sure? You are looking at them right now?"
Yes, she assured me. Oh, thank GOD! She told me that she would try to get them to me in the next couple of days.


Still in a state of shock, I called off the posse. They were very relieved. My friend Marina said that if ever there was an occasion to start drinking in the afternnon, this was it! Amen!

UPDATE: Suzanne just dropped off the album! She gave me several hugs and told me what a great friend I was! She is so sweet! Here is her favorite picture. I told her I would guard the album with my life!

12 comments:

Karin said...

So totally something I would do!

Joanne Kennedy said...

Oh you poor thing. Such trauma! I'm happy it turned out well for you though. At least you didn't have to dig through everyones trash and THEN find out it was never tossed out.

Hugs,
Joanne

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Don't do that to me again!! I had white knuckles...although...I was thinking "ooo, I'll bet she found some good stuff in the trash!" Hehe.

Shirl said...

Hello and thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment. Love your pink Spa post, how cute!!!!!
Bless you, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Oh goodness, that wasn't a drama that was almost a disaster!! What a happy ending, though!!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Brenda said...

I just had total heart palpitations reading your post! How awful to think you threw out someone's wedding album! I'm so glad it all worked out!

Anonymous said...

That would have been the ultimate DUMPSTER DIVING!!! I am new to your blog - finding it through Pink Saturday.

At least it would have been the recyclables and not the regular trash...that would have been really gross.

Anonymous said...

That would have been the ultimate DUMPSTER DIVING!!! I am new to your blog - finding it through Pink Saturday.

At least it would have been the recyclables and not the regular trash...that would have been really gross.

Anonymous said...

That was an amazing amount of trama and I believe you had every reason to enjoy a cocktail or two after that terrifying experience! The photo is great and I hope the album is back in your friend's hands! :)

I lent one of my good friends my maternity clothes after the birth of my first child--of course they were in plastic bags when I gave them to her. In those days we were all young and broke (instead of old and broke after the recent stock market slides) and we passed our clothes and the kids clothes around. Anyway, yep, her hubby thought the bags were trash and they were never seen again! Of course, that's not a big deal like the photos would have been, but it's the idea of the Plastic Trash Bag thing!!

Hope everything else is going well!

Dana

Polka Dot Moon said...

Oh my! Funny to read about now, but I'm sure it wasn't at the time!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. My heart was breaking for you. I am so thankful this drama had a happy ending.

Many years ago I had one envelope of pictures that must have been thrown away, and I'm still not over it.

Glennis said...

Gosh, what a story! So glad it had a happy ending!